Music Director Search
Bethesda Lutheran Church, New Haven, CT, is searching for a new music director to assume leadership in June, 2018. Visit our music pages to learn more about our music ministries. Bethesda has a rich and long-standing musical tradition, with many skilled musicians involved in our worship life and 25-year-old concert series. Enjoy the benefits of working next door to Yale University’s Institute of Sacred Music also, with amazing musical events in town throughout the year! Read below for the position description and application information:
DIRECTOR OF MUSIC MINISTRY
The Director of Music Ministry leads, encourages, and supports the congregation as it worships God in song and other music.
The director will exhibit strong choral conducting and organ skills, an awareness and appreciation of Lutheran liturgical and theological traditions, and organizational and leadership abilities in working with adults, youth, and children.
- Support the vision, goals, and annual objectives of the congregation
- Meet with the pastor in preparing the liturgies and congregational songs for Sunday and other days
- Plan choral and instrumental music for services
- Gather and nurture the musical gifts of members and other participants for the worship of God at Bethesda
- Assist Bethesda in developing its repertory of song, hymns, and service music
- Maintain excellence in one’s own musical skill through regular practice, study, and continuing education
Specific Duties Include:
- Planning, preparing, playing organ and/or piano, and directing choirs for the Sunday service as well as for special services including, but not limited to, an Advent service of Lessons and Carols, Advent Weekday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Ash Wednesday, Lenten Weekday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil
- Serve as a resource for children and youth ministries including the Sunday School (especially at the opening exercises for the children during the learning hour), and develop other ways of involving youth and children in worship through music
- Serve as Artistic Director of the Bethesda Music Series, which each year presents five to seven diverse, high quality performances by Bethesda and outside musicians to raise funds for local social service organizations. Assist with marketing and fundraising for the Series
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Worship and Music Committee and the Music Series Committee. Meet regularly with the pastor and attend other staff meetings upon the request of the pastor
- Provide or arrange for music at weddings and funerals. (Extra reimbursement provided.)
Possess excellent music skills with training in organ, choral conducting, and church music. A Master of Music degree or its equivalent in education and experience is preferred. A background in liturgy and theology is desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary maximum of $23,000, depending on experience and educational qualifications. For approximately 20 hours per week with a flexible schedule. Funds for continuing education available. Four Sundays paid vacation, two Sundays of sick leave, one Sunday for continuing education (with a stipend). Music Director permitted use of church instruments for rehearsals and private instruction.
Church owned choral library. Dedicated funds provided for substitute organists, music purchases, instrumentalists, special music events.
Annual renewable contract with annual performance and salary review. The Director of Music Ministry is directly responsible to the pastor. Position will be open as of June 1, 2018, and will remain open until filled.
To apply for this position, submit a CV (pdf file) and cover letter (pdf file) by email to Rebecca Toms, our parish administrator, at email@example.com.
Tags: choir, concerts, music director, organ, piano, search