For Those New to Bethesda
Bethesda Lutheran Church is a small congregation that worships about 80 per week that values its enriching worship and gifted music ministry. We are glad to be in New Haven and are committed to social ministry that alleviates hunger, connects with local and global communities, and alleviates injustice and poverty.
Facebook page: Bethesda New Haven https://www.facebook.com/Bethesda-New-Haven
We are a Reconciling in Christ congregation, welcoming people from throughout the gender spectrum, LGTBQ. http://www.reconcilingworks.org/
We are part of 3.8 million member Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)http://elca.org/
We are part of over 180 congregations in the New England Synod. http://nesynod.org/
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan the Holy Land is one of our Mission partners.http://www.elcjhl.org/
Luther House Campus Ministry is another http://yalelutherhouse.com/
And Resurrection Lutheran Church on Davenport Avenue in New Haven, which hosts a three-week day camp staffed by our New England Synod’s Lutheran Outdoor Ministries Center,
Camp Calumet. http://calumet.org/
We are directly across from the street from
Yale Divinity School and the Institute of Sacred Music, and in 2012 started a Divinity School student residential community called Bethesda House.https://www.facebook.com/bethesdahousenewhaven/
Besides these, from time you’ll hear about:
· A monthly Shelter Meal (second Monday)
· Abraham’s Tent
· Bethesda Music Series (six concerts from September to June)
· ELCA World Hunger (Good Gifts in December; God’s Global Barnyard coin boxes)
· Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem (and its olive oil)
· Connecticut Food Bank’s Walk Against Hunger (May)
· Giving Garden (April through October)
· Holiday Fair (second Saturday of November)
· Mission Endowment Fund (local, global, churchwide grants)
· Christian Community Action (CCA) (grocery cart in narthex; annual fundraising)
· Church World Service (CWS) “Gifts of the Heart” (Hygiene kits)
· Equal Exchange Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate, and snacks
· Yale Bowl Football Game (once a year)
· Ice Cream Social (August)
· UConn Women’s Basketball Club (Richard Ford)
We are raising money to fix and maintain our building through a Capital Fund. The current mini-campaign designates donations toward repairs to our chapel, Parish House, and elevator.
We love to worship together; in Advent and Lent we gather for Thursday Dinner Church at 6 pm.
The Three Days deepens our joy in Jesus’ death and resurrection on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, beginning at 7:30 pm, and at the Easter Vigil, beginning at 8:00 pm. The Vigil is not to be missed!
Our leadership board is called Congregation Council (president: Blair Goodlin)
Our Social Ministry chair is Dianne Witte
Other key staff:
Pastor Tim Keyl
Dr. Lars Gjerde, Music Director
Becca Toms, Administrator
Kelly Culhane, Coordinator of Student and Young Adult Ministry
To be part of Bethesda’s community, jump in wherever you like!
· Identified some favorite ministries you’d like to be part of?
· Subscribed to our weekly enews?
· “Liked” our Facebook page?
· Received offering envelopes in the mail, or tried electronic Simply Giving?http://bethesdanewhaven.org/donate/
· Met one-on-one with Pastor Keyl?
· Gotten a tour of the building?
· Gotten a directory?
· Met anyone? Who?